It’s no secret that we love snack boards here at I Love Imported Cheese! They’re the perfect easy entertaining solution for all sorts of occasions from fall parties to Thanksgiving and weekend grazing. As the seasons change, so should your cheese choices and snackboard nibbles. Here are our tips for building an amazing autumnal snackboard with the best combination of sweet, crunchy, savory, and of course plenty of creamy delectable imported cheeses!
♥ Start with Robust Cheeses
When choosing cheeses for your board think heartier, more flavorful options for fall (for example, cheeses that would pair well with Oktoberfest beer!). As always, go for a mix of soft creamy cheeses, denser aged cheeses, and add a goat or blue for a flavorful and fun twist. We show 8 cheeses on our board here for a large group. If you’re hosting a medium sized crew you can stick with 5, for a mini snack session 3 cheeses will be plenty. Here are some of our top picks no matter the size of your board:
- Add a pop of seasonal color with the orange rind of Muenster or Taleggio or a gorgeously hued cheese like aged Gouda, aged Boerenkaas, or Mimolette.
- Pick soft cheeses that are richer or pack more of a punch such as Brie de Nangis, Epoisses, or Petit Savarin.
- Give your goat cheese some seasonal flair by topping it with pumpkin seeds or pomegranate arils.
- Go for varieties of your favorite cheeses that have a bit of bite like Smoked Gouda, Aged Provolone, or Cheddar with Whiskey.
- Include cheeses such as English Huntsman, Wensleydale, or Beer Cheese for a cozy pub feel.
- Swap in stronger versions of your favorite Swiss cheese such as Leerdamer, Emmentaler, or Gruyere.
- Try a bold and spicy blue such as Valdeón, a unique Spanish blue made from goat and cow’s milk cheeses or French Bleu D’Auvergne.
♥ Add Warm Seasonal Spice
Here’s where things get really fun! Satisfy all your autumnal cravings for pumpkin spice, maple, apple, and cinnamon with an array of condiments and nibbles. Some of our favorites are:
- Pumpkin or Apple Butter
- Spiced Candied Pecans or Walnuts
- Pumpkin Spice, Maple-Walnut, or Cranberry-Almond Granola
- Honey Mustard Mini Pretzels
- Fall flavored mustards like Maple Dijon or Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Dried Cranberries, Pears, or Apples
♥ Fresh Color and Crunch
It’s great to include fall fruits and vegetables for a fresh colorful component on your platter and for a lighter snack option. Fresh figs, a mix of grapes, and sliced apples or pears are a natural pairing for imported cheeses. We also love to evoke fall vibes with brightly colored purple cauliflower florets, tricolor carrot sticks, and mini pumpkins or gourds for decoration and a pop of color.
♥ Charcuterie and Crackers
Now that the weather is cooler it’s time to break out the charcuterie again! Complete your snack board with savory cured meats – bonus points if they incorporate seasonal flavors like maple, herbs, and warming spices. Instead of your usual crackers or crostini, swap in a mix of hearty crackers with herbs, seeds, and dried fruit for a full fall harvest feel.
Happy Fall and Happy Snacking!
Our Autumn Snackboard, pictured above, is made with the following cheeses:
♥ Aged Provolone