Warm Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Comté
This is the ultimate dip and is always a huge hit! It’s elegant enough for special occasions or holidays, and yet laid-back enough for casual parties or potlucks. Best of all, it can be assembled ahead of time and then baked off right before your guests arrive!
- Butter for baking dish
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 10-11 ounces baby spinach about 12 cups
- 1 14- ounce can whole artichoke hearts in water drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces Comté cheese shredded (about 2 cups shredded)
- Toasted baguette slices and/or crackers regular or gluten-free, for serving
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butter a 1-quart baking dish.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and light golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add about half of the spinach and cook until wilted, then add the remaining spinach. Cook until all of the spinach is wilted (it will take about 4 to 5 minutes total). Season with salt and pepper. Scrape the mixture into a large strainer or colander and let cool slightly. Using paper towels, press firmly on the spinach to remove any excess liquid.
Transfer the spinach mixture to a large bowl, and add the artichoke hearts, cream cheese, creme fraiche, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, grated nutmeg and half of the Comté. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining Comté over top (at this point, the dish can be covered and refrigerated for up to a day). Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve warm with baguette slices and/or crackers.
Once assembled (before baking), the dip can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.